Rhinoplasty is surgery performed to correct either a medical or a cosmetic deformity of the nose. In Atlanta, rhinoplasty is the most common type of cosmetic surgery performed.
- Improve some breathing difficulties
- Correct birth defects
- Repair the nose after an injury
- Straighten or shape the bridge of the nose
- Change the shape of the tip of the nose
- Reduce or add to the size of the nose
- Change the angle between the upper lip and nose
Rhinoplasty surgery typically takes several hours, the exact length depending upon the corrections required. After surgery, some discomforted is to be expected and pain can be managed with prescribed pain medications.
A splint may be placed on the outside of the nose, and rubber splints or nasal packs may be used inside the nose to support the surgery during healing. These are typically removed in the first week. The swelling of the nose typically goes away within three weeks.