What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a serious breathing disorder that occurs during sleep and is characterized by snoring, a choking sensation or pauses in normal breathing patterns. If left untreated, it can cause a number of life-threatening health problems, including stroke, heart disease and heart attacks. Because even the most severe cases are often ignored or written off as simple snoring, spreading the word could literally save the life of a friend or loved one. It’s time to wake up and realize the importance of sleep apnea education during Sleep Apnea Awareness Week.
Here are some of the facts you need to know:
- Sleep apnea affects roughly 42 million adults in the United States.
- 1 in 5 adults have some form of obstructive sleep apnea.
- 25% of middle-aged men suffer from sleep apnea.
- 9% of middle-aged women suffer from sleep apnea.
- Infants, toddlers, children and teens can have sleep apnea.
- Sleep apnea has been linked to heart attack, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, depression and an increased risk of certain types of cancer.
- Over 75% of severe cases of sleep apnea go undiagnosed and untreated.
Help spread the word during Sleep Apnea Awareness Week, Oct 1-7, 2013
Sharing really is caring, especially with something as serious as sleep apnea awareness. Atlanta ENT will be giving away two $25 Starbucks Gift cards to a randomly selected winner in our “Wake Up and Spread the Word About Sleep Apnea Sweepstakes.” One for you, and one to share!
To enter, simply click on the tab on our Facebook Profile. In just a couple of simple steps you will be entered. Sharing will earn you extra entries and you can enter once per day!
You may also visit the following link to enter: http://woobox.com/3w43j9
Share the word about sleep apnea, and you could win a Starbucks gift card for you, and one to share with a friend.